Faux Fu

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Migratory Existence...

Different day. Different place. I live a sort of migratory existence. I often find myself staying at other people's places. Usually taking care of little furry friends. It's an interesting life. A weird way to make a buck, but no one is shooting at me, and usually I stay at amazing places. Everything is a bit different. Bigger, plusher, more comfortable, but not my place. Everything is a bit slightly off. I bring my stuff. The absolute essential things I need for a good day.

What is essential?

My coffee-maker. My coffee beans. My grinder. My coffee cup. I find it's best to bring my own. Don't mess with the owner's stuff. Be a bit self-efficient, pull myself up by my own bootstraps. Be a bit plucky!

I also have to bring my Walkman, Audio-Techinca Hi-Fi Headphones, and my latest musical obsessions, CDs, I love those spinning silver discs, which includes, live Grateful Dead concerts, (spanning 1967 - 1978, you know pretty much the golden era), and lately Alice Coltrane. What took me so long? What a fabulous, inspiring, spiritual music maker. A creator of beautiful vibes, unlike any other.

I bring some potions and pills. Everything herbal, "alternative" medicine. Nothing too medical. I am a big fan and believer in Arnica gel for aches and pains. I sometimes bring my guitar, but often I stay at places where guitars are resident. Here there is a nice mahogany Martin, small-bodied acoustic. Easy to play, nicely resonant. A real-deal American original guitar. Can't go wrong with a Martin.

I was strumming that guitar last night, playing songs from the Great American Songbook. "In the Pines" made famous by Kurt Cobain on MTV Unplugged. It sounded nice and mournful in this big old empty mansion. 

This morning, I type into a laptop as a "Guest." Yes. I am just a guest here. A traveler. A migratory worker. A dog-whisperer. A friendly handler of pretty little creatures. Sipping my coffee brew. I combined two varieties of beans so, my morning brew is "Mind, Body, Soul, Love Buzz."

It's doing the trick. I wonder what today will bring?

Blog Archive