Faux Fu

Saturday, February 06, 2021

The Good News...

It's funny, but true. Every morning I do the same thing. I walk into the kitchen, switch on the coffee machine, and then walk over, and switch on the radio. I drink some lemon-water, take a few vitamins, and unload the dishwasher.

The radio is tuned to NPR. It's our primary source of information. I believe it's reliable, truthful, fact-based journalism at it's best. Some mornings, for some reason, NPR doesn't come in clearly. There's static on the air, somehow, mysteriously, overnight, the "wires get crossed," or the tuning some how gets "off," and the radio is tuned between stations, with white noise coming from the speakers.

Yesterday, I fiddled with the dial and a man's voice came out loud and clear, he was in conversation with someone else and he said: "It's time that we stopped listening to politicians, stopped talking about the issues of the day, and got serious, and acknowledged the Good News, that Jesus Christ died for our sins."

Holy Moly. Hah. If I were a different kind of person, I might take that as sign, or a secret message, a hint that I should change my ways.  Funny, though, I'm NOT  that kind of person.  What was my reaction? "Oh no, not that Jesus guy! That's NOT NPR!"

It took a minute or two, but finally I pushed past the static and tuned back to my favorite station. News. News of the day: the good, the bad, the ugly. Whatever, I can take it. Jesus or no Jesus. I mean, "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine..." (hat tip: Patti Smith)...

Blog Archive