Faux Fu

Friday, November 20, 2020

"If it's Good Enough for the Buddha, It's Good Enough for Me."

Yesterday morning, my brilliant idea, to pull me out of my funk (see previous post),  came to me on the path on the lakefront. "Let's order Chinese for lunch!" 

You know, takeout. Try to shake up the sequence of the day.

The answer, of course, was, "Sure." 

Then, what to order?!  For me it was an easy call: "Buddha's Delight." My thought process, "If it's good enough for Buddha, it's good enough for me."

And, yes, well, it was good enough. Vegetables, tofu, brown rice. 

Later in the day, my therapy session: headphones, a dark living room, sprawled out on the couch listening to music.  What was the sonic medicine? Two fabulous, r&r masterpieces, The Who's "Quadrophenia,"  (1973), and New Order's "Power, Corruption & Lies." (1983).

What do The Who and New Order have in common? A fierce, creative intelligence hovering over both bands. A lofty, and ambitious spirit. Musically inventive. Virtuosos on Bass and Drums. They are also  so very unique. Makes you realize, anyone picking up an instrument can re-define it's capabilities. That is the case with Moon, Entwhistle, Morris and Hook. Different sonic worlds.

Magnificent, enthralling results.

Music is such a tonic. Lifts my spirit, renews my faith in the creative project. Inspiring. Intense. The necessary stuff. Dipped in the pool of vibes, returned totally recharged.

It's a new day...

Blog Archive