Faux Fu

Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Wednesday Improvisations.

1. Well. I always did suspect it, but the coronavirus lockdown confirms it, I am Non-Essential Personnel. I have always been so, from birth to now. My whole life has been one long goof-off. My life and everything I have done with it is a whim of nature, a bauble, a knick-knack, a little improvisation and a diversion. Me and my life = A Luxury.  On the one hand, it makes me feel small, unimportant, a toss-off, but then on the other hand, isn't it sort of a kick? I mean, I am a lark, a breeze, a snatch of sunlight, a moonbeam, a silly, inconsequential dream. Funny and sort of Zen.

2. I am now dreaming in MOOG. Yes. I have been learning how to navigate and play a little mini-Moog synthesizer on an iPad. I have become totally obsessed, I ran down into the rabbit-hole, and have spent many hours mesmerized. I am composing music. Creating. I have no idea if any of it is good, or useable, I can't imagine actually incorporating it into my band whitewolfsonicprincess, but then again, just the pure act of doing it has been exciting and sort of liberating. Playing a Moog is such a departure from playing guitar. Lots of knobs and settings, an incredible array of sounds, so much time just getting something interesting to emerge. I think I'm in love with a Moog.

3. The coronavirus has made us glad to be living in a solidly "Blue Bubble."  We live next to a big midwestern lake, some days it looks like the ocean, and folks here are quite progressive. It is a famously, and long-time liberal bastion. Which means, lots of vegetarian restaurants, lots of yoga studios, lots of activists, writers, poets, musicians, photographers, high-paid lawyers, consultants, and folks with ways and means. It's not a poor town. It is a great place to live. And we have all taken the coronavirus seriously. So lots of determined social-distancing. We all pretty much tuned out our Toxic Clown President early on. Not sure if this means we will avoid the worst of the worst, but everyone is taking great care, trying to stay safe. Not sure how much it helps, but it is somewhat encouraging. There is a great, socially-distant feeling of solidarity with our fellow Blue Bubblers.

4. The highlight of every day has been a walk to the lake. It is a grand dance. Keeping distance from other folks. Every human being is an obstacle to be avoided. Best to assume everyone is infected. At the same time, of course, we are all in this together. Yes. We are all avoiding each other. But we are doing it because we care for each other. Pretty strange. Welcome to the Terror-Dome.

5. The radio tells me that now our Toxic Clown in Chief is selling death. After months of down-playing the virus, now he tells us this is something serious. Who pounded that message into his thick head? Wonder how long he can stick to the message of doom? Thank goodness we have local officials here who have been consistent and responsible from the start.

The a.m. soundtrack - Nick Drake's "Bryter Layter"  (1971). All three Nick Drake records are great. Each a bit different. This second release is a bit of a departure from "Five Leaves Left" a stone-cold masterpiece. Horns on this one. It's a little bit different vibe, great in its own way. Moody instrumentals. Fabulous orchestrations. Nick's voice & guitar playing is superb and captivating. This one was the first Nick Drake record I "discovered," so it resonates deeply with me. A brighter hush to the production. Hats off to the great Joe Boyd. Backed by some great musicians: John Cale, Richard Thompson, & other members of Fairport Convention. This one flows, sits lightly, resonates. Sterling. Brilliant. Grace.

Blog Archive