Faux Fu

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Our House is in Flames, What are We Gonna Do?

I don't know. I think this Jonathan Franzen piece is necessary, thought provoking. 

I suppose here is the "gist:"

"If you care about the planet, and about the people and animals who live on it, there are two ways to think about this. You can keep on hoping that catastrophe is preventable, and feel ever more frustrated or enraged by the world’s inaction. Or you can accept that disaster is coming, and begin to rethink what it means to have hope."

This has created quite the shit-storm. Franzen is being criticized for being a white guy, for being a successful novelist, for being wrong on the science, for being wrong on psychology, for being Jonathan Franzen.

How do I thread the needle of this controversy? I see a climate disaster looming, maybe it's inevitable, maybe it's preventable, I suppose, I expect the worst, hope for the best, and see if we can, as a species, work towards some kind of solution. I still harbor a spark of hope that we can change course. I still believe a change of consciousness can happen in the blink of an eye. I still think we all have to try to work towards a better day.

We can't throw hands up and say all is lost, but we must realize catastrophe is looming, and do what we can to avoid that catastrophe. We need to make small, micro-changes, and support large, macro-changes too.

I suppose I am glad Franzen wrote the piece. I don't think he is the last word on the topic, he is just one voice, one man. He's just a guy thinking things through. That's not a bad thing. We all need to try to think things through. The planet is on fire, our house is in flames, what are we gonna do?

Blog Archive