Faux Fu

Thursday, August 01, 2019

Nothing Certain...

This morning...

Contemplating my "certainty of nothing..." 

Made me think of Anthony Bourdain, and his tattoo: "In the Senegal episode, towards the end, Bourdain said that he had a tatoo that read paraphrase of a Greek/Latin phrase I’ve always liked, scio me nihil scire: I know that I know nothing. He said, I am certain of nothing."

Seems to me a very humble and wise way to approach life and all the things in it. We are so filled with vanity, puffery. We are so vain. We even call ourselves "Homo Sapien"  - "wise man!" Isn't that rich?! We think so well of ourselves and our abilities, we dub ourselves as the wise ones.

Funny. Ridiculous. Dis-proven, daily. For reference please check out (at least), the last 350,000 years... 

Our knowledge is at best arbitrary, partial, often off the mark, subject to revision, subject to a rethink, etc.

Let us turn to the poet, John Keats. Sometimes I think poetry is our only way to some kind of truth, some kind of understanding. It's a language of mystery. A language beyond understanding.

This will work as a motto for the day: "I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections, and the truth of imagination." - John Keats

Blog Archive