Thursday, October 05, 2017
Death of a R&R Optimist!
Tom Petty has died. A great, made in America, r&r optimist. Born and raised in "nowheresville," (Gainesville, Fla) at a young age, he decided to live the r&r dream. And he did it. He brought along some other characters on his journey, musicians he worked with over a life-time, including the guitarist Mike Campbell and the keyboardist Benmont Tench.
I think it's fair to say, even though Petty got all the accolades, (Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame with the Heartbreakers, hit singles and albums), he and his work is still probably underrated.
If you've ever been in a car, just riding around town, windows down, listening to the radio, and a Tom Petty song came on, you always, always turned the radio up loud. It was just the natural, and right thing to do. Exhilarating.
Optimist? I think of some the titles and lines from of some of his great songs: "You don't have to live like a Refugee," "Running down a dream," "Even the losers get lucky sometimes," "I won't back down," "I'm FREE, FREE falling." Even a song about falling sounds uplifting, the emphasis is on the FREE part.
And that ringing, chiming Rickenbacker guitar? The sound is undeniable. Passed down from the Beatles, (see "Hard Day's Night") and the Byrds (just about any Byrds' song). Every chord rings with a shimmering possibility.
I wrote about Peter Bogdanovich's 2007 film about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers here. Streaming on Netflix, an epic opus! I think my companion and I will watch it once again soon, in tribute to the man. Yes, shocked and saddened. I took the death of this r&r optimist pretty hard.
The highest accolade I can think of, applies to this man, in the way he lived and played through the years- "He was a cool guy!"
- ► 2019 (364)
- ► 2018 (365)
- Think Eliot Ness, Special Agent Dale Cooper & Joe ...
- Conspiracy-Minded for a Reason!
- "Picture a Leader with no fucking brains..." - R. ...
- Heading into Hyper-Drive!
- Money, Ego & Ideology - That's How You Do It!
- "... the threats against principles, freedoms, and...
- "Even Your Thoughts Are Dust." - M. Williams
- Mood: Cold & Rainy!
- Survival Mode
- As for Me...
- Religion, Tribe, Ideal.
- Barbarity and Stupidity!
- Buying Stuff!
- Grab them by the Pussy President, Psychopath or So...
- "The Man in the Oval Office is a Soulless Coward.....
- Losing Day by Day...
- A New Collective Mind.
- Pretty Damn Low!
- The Days Roll Out.
- Vanishing Point!
- A Fall from Grace, Terrifying, Awesome...
- A Belligerent, Thin-Skinned & Really Unpopular Mor...
- "Welcome Everything, Push Away Nothing..."
- No Good Way Out of This Loop!
- Less "Great Men" Please!
- I'm Not a Worrier!
- Death of a R&R Optimist!
- Shocked and Saddened...
- A Terrible & Difficult Legacy...
- Stupidity in Action.
- Selling Spiritual Transcendence One Song, One Show...
- ▼ October (31)
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (365)
- ► 2014 (365)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (366)
- ► 2011 (365)
- ► 2010 (370)
- ► 2009 (366)
- ► 2008 (360)
- ► 2007 (285)
- ► 2006 (183)
- ► 2005 (350)