Faux Fu

Saturday, November 08, 2014

Tweedy - The Cool Daddy!


Hey guess what? "Sukierae" from Tweedy is a total knockout record. Turns out "Dad rock,"  which has been sort of tossed around as an insult, is actually, super-cool. Jeff Tweedy and his son have made a really excellent record. It's a double-album overstuffed with subtle, layered, perfectly realized music. I recommend you actually buy a CD. Check out the cool pictures and the lyric sheet. It's a personal, family-affair record.

Jeff Tweedy sometimes sounds like John Lennon to me. Which is just the highest compliment I can imagine. He's a great singer/songwriter, and underrated guitar player. Jeff just has a way about him. He comes across to me as a very committed, working artist. No bullshit. Just the good work.

I love some of the stripped down songs. They are my favorites. There are one or two songs that sound like they could be outtakes from other Wilco records - but hell, the two bands share the lead singer, the lead songwriter, and the driving force.

Still this record, this band, this approach, it holds it's own.  Superb on all levels! Highly recommended!

Blog Archive