Faux Fu

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters - Yes, Sensational!


Lately I like to use U2 as a punching bag.  It just feels right. So yes, as Greg Kot so eloquently said about their latest free, iCloud album: "This is what a dinosaur does in it's last days." I think this "dinosaur-ness" has more to do with their coziness with corporate behemoths, than their longevity.

I don't think it has anything to do with age. There are plenty of old-timers, or maybe better, LONG-Timers who are making lively, important and yes, great music in their later careers. Think Richard Thompson, Tom Waits, Lucinda Williams and... Robert Plant!

Yes, Robert Plant! What a remarkable singer and artist. He continues to amaze, continues to seek out new collaborators, continues to explore sonic territory, continues to pursue his own muse, his own dreams. He doesn't seem to be serving anyone but his own artistic bent. I think his voice has grown to be one of the finest instruments in music. Love his musical choices, his aesthetic just seems so perfect.

His latest album with the Sensational Space Shifers called "Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar" is one of the finest records I've heard in a very long time. I was captivated from the first note. Some of the sonic influences in this stew include: celtic, middle eastern, african, bluegrass, hippie, r&r, beats, loops, with a major dollop of shimmering beauty.

And the Sensational Space Shifters are just a killer band. I mean, I love this band!  What a great ride. So inspiring! Robert Plant!

Blog Archive