Faux Fu

Monday, March 24, 2014

Kim, Caine and Temper!



I love Kim Morgan and her blog Sunset Gun.  I think she is the best writer, writing about movies, and those who make them, and appear in them, anywhere on the globe. Her latest, a tribute to Michael Caine, is really great. And Caine passes on some real wisdom on "anger" and it's display...

"James Clavell was captured in Hong Kong when he was 14 by the Japanese and spent the first part of his life in a Japanese prison camp. He said to me, ‘The way I survived was I became Japanese in mentality. So I knew where they were coming from in their treatment of us and I knew where I should be in everything.’ He said, ‘The one thing that the Japanese never do is they never lose their temper because anger is an emotion that you should never show to strangers because you expose too much of yourself.’ He said, ‘You must never expose yourself like that to strangers.’ And he gave me this long lecture on the Japanese and anger and I have never lost my temper on a set since. I go home and I scream at the kids. (Laughs) But I have never lost my temper on a set since.”


Blog Archive