Faux Fu

Saturday, March 08, 2014

It's a Syllable Thing!

Band names.  I should talk. 

I named our band "whitewolfsonicprincess." 

All one word. All lowercase. Some people love it. Some people hate it. Some people refuse to say it.  People ask me how I came up with the name. I'd like to be able to say it came to me in a vision, but really, I have no clue. It just popped into my head. I figured no one else in the world had put those syllables together before, so I figured it would stand out, be easy to find on-line.

I did sort of want to convey a dichotomy - the male/female thing. The animal/royalty thing. We actually came up with an image - a wolf wearing a princess hat that kind of embodied the idea.

But back to syllables. Aye there's the rub.  Do you want your band name to be "sticky?" It's good to try to go with a few syllables as possible.  If you are a solo act think one syllable: Sting, Cher, Pink.

Or famous bands, two syllables - Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, U2.

If you get too far out there it can be trouble, think: Red Hot Chili Peppers (6 syllables!), Toxic Airborne Event, Strawberry Alarm Clock.  And people will invariably shorten things for you... Jefferson Airplane becomes The Airplane...

People don't want to think or say too many syllables... even our band ended up talking in short-hand... think wwsp! 

Blog Archive