Faux Fu

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Radiohead From the Basement!

Yes, I do like lots of old music, but I like lots of new music too. I do think this is a great time for music. There are bands/artists today who are making music that can stand up to anything from any era. I think of Wilco, U2, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Dirty Three, Sigur Ros, Tom Waits, Atoms for Peace, The National, Lucinda Williams, Drive-By Truckers, Ryan Adams, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Patti Griffen, and Radiohead, just to name a few of my absolute favorites.

Radiohead might be the best band I've ever come across. At first I admired them more than loved them, but over the years, they have continued to grow on me. They are uncompromising, intriguing, baffling, groovy, confounding, moody, exhilarating. They are serious dudes. Musicians with serious chops.

For a long time I couldn't figure them out. I mean the songs. So many sounds coming from so many directions, I could never get a handle on what I was hearing. It helps to see them play. You can put the sound together with the source. And it increases the enjoyment.

I loved stumbling across this video, Radiohead From the Basement.  Here they are playing songs from their superb "In Rainbows" record. I really admire, and totally love this band…

Blog Archive