Faux Fu

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Higgs Boson - Sort of Fascinating!

I love reading complex scientific topics, and then rendering them in my own cracked waring-blender of a brain.  I take all that complexity and nuance, and make it simple and comprehensible. And probably absurd too. I discard what I don't understand, and pretend to understand what I think I understand.

This Higgs Boson thing is pretty weird. The search for the "God Particle." The mysterious force that holds everything together.  Supposedly if this force didn't exist, everything would just be a big undefined mess of atoms.  Or something like that.

This New York Times article explores how some brainiacs, science-nerds on the hunt with this very large "collider," have finally "discovered," it. First someone comes up with the idea, they develop a theory, they in a sense invented it, and they look for it, find a way to prove the theory. Then they discover it!  That's the scientific method, the human way.  

What's it all about? I don't know.  But it is sort of fascinating!

Blog Archive