Faux Fu

Friday, October 19, 2012

I like to find, what I find, when I find it.

Pop culture is pretty wrapped up with "fashion."  And it's all about the now.  The newest, the latest.  But you know, I like to find, what I find, when I find it.  And I'm sort of resistant to the hype, and to marketing, and I don't like being in lines or just following the crowd.

So anyway, I wrote about The Jesus and Mary Chain record "Psycho Candy" here.  It was released in 1985.  That is a lifetime in pop culture terms.  But you know, I think it's cool to time trip, and to jump around from eras and to experience music out of context.  I mean, to understand what's happening, or what happened, it helps to know the context of what you are experiencing.  But it's also cool to hear something out of context too.

So anyway, this is a record that made a splash when it came out, and it's been influential on lots of bands.  Does it stand up?  Yes.  It's a pretty cool record.  It's a sound.  Pretty much one sound.  And that one sound is really, really, good and it works very well indeed!

Blog Archive