Faux Fu

Sunday, March 06, 2011

You Know that Band!

I'm reading Shout! by Philip Norman. I picked it up at my local used bookstore for $7. It's a story I know, I mean, it's a story we all know, it's basically the Pop Culture origin story for a certain generation, but of course, it's all the little details that make it an exciting and extraordinary read.

And you find out all kinds of things you didn't know...

I'm about a third into it. And really I just love the tale of the Silver Beatles and their time in Hamburg Germany. And I'm fascinated by Astrid Kirchherr and that great lost boy Stu Sutcliffe. And it all gets you to wondering if Stu was really that bad of a bass player. But of course, the guy that wanted the job happened to become one of the greatest bass players of all time.

And then there's the whole cast of characters: Lennon, Starr, Voorman, Harrison, etc. And there's grit and luck and happenstance. And events had to happen just so, or maybe the story would have been different. And the story rolls out like destiny. An amazing journey...

Blog Archive