Faux Fu

Monday, March 02, 2009

Epiphanies are Hard to Come By


I don't know if you're excited about the release of U2's latest music. I've heard that radio stations and MTV (does any one watch MTV anymore?) aren't really all that pumped about playing it. It's kind of funny. Finally a band gets so big, no one wants to see or hear them anymore.

Sometimes over-saturation has it's limits.

Still these guys are masters of playing the pop consciousness game, and I figure we'll all be seeing a lot of them. Check out this great site. You can listen to the complete album "No Line on the Horizon," and see cool pictures and videos.

Not long ago I had an amazing spiritual epiphany while listening to their song "One Step Closer" on my iPod. I was dog-walking on the beach, and this incredible wave of good feeling and oneness overcame me.

I ended up buying a bunch of U2 albums that I never really listened to before and loaded them up on my private music unit. They really do have a remarkable discography. I think Pop, Zooropa, How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb and Achtung Baby are absolutely superb. These are the discs that U2 really dismantle and remake their sound. Their collaborations with Brian Eno, Flood and Daniel Lanois are truly remarkable.

Plus Boy and Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and War are the discs where U2 defined U2. U2 makes music that rewards repeated listens. It is sophisticated Pop/Rock. Some of the best music ever recorded. Really. And those spiritual epiphanies don't come easily and often. So I am eternally grateful to those dudes.

Blog Archive