Faux Fu

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sweet Smell of Success

I can't really go into the specifics...I must protect the innocent, the not so innocent and the completely guilty. Let's just say, I've recently been involved in a business deal where mucho bucks have been discussed. It was very early stage, but if it all panned out, I stood to make a lot of money. Now, it turns out that someone that I greatly admire, someone who I've worked with for many years, someone who has inspired me, someone I can honestly call a friend, basically asked me for a bribe to make sure the deal happened.

It was presented in such a friendly and logical way. "You take care of me, I take care of you." And of course, I think of myself as a "deal-maker," not a "deal-breaker." I hesitated. I did not dimiss the idea immediately. I tried it on for size, I actually consulted with a couple collegues to see if it was something we could "work out."

At the same time, I knew it was wrong. And in my heart, I knew I could not do it. How to respond? Well, I came back with both barrels blazing. I ripped the deal to shreds. I probably lost a friend. I passed up the bucks. I told my friend he was making a big mistake. I even threatened to blow the whistle (this is probably something I won't do!)

Was I naive? I know that many deals are made by "greasing the wheel." Much of Wall Street and Washington too, and every State Capitol in the land has it's practitioners of the bribe. I am not on a high-horse here. I don't feel righteous, I'm not putting myself up as some moral example. I actually feel really bad that I had to blow this deal to smithereens.

I'm writing about it to just get it all out of my system. Kind of like letting the poison dribble out my veins. Corruption comes with a smile and a dollar sign, it comes at you all friendly-like, with logic and practical terms. It tells you if you want to "play with the big dogs," you have to play along. It's a sweet seduction that kills something.

UPDATE: The Lovely Carla tells me to be careful about getting too self-righteous here. She reminds me of a previous case where I did take care of a friend, I did take care of myself too. She's right. There's a slippery slope here. And no clear lines. Subtle degrees of corruption. I guess it's a case by case process. You hope you make the right choices.

Blog Archive