Faux Fu

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Positivity...

My go-to mode is positive. You know, I often find myself conjuring my inner Vince Lombardi, which is hilarious (at least to me, because when I was young, I hated Lombardi. I hated all that rah-rah, power of positive thinking crap. Now, it's the obvious choice: positivity for all!).

Yesterday we had a break in the weather. Nearly 70 degrees here. Sunny. Blue skies. Late afternoon. We played music out-doors on a little patio. Three of us, masked, physically distant: guitar, violin, percussion, vocals. It was exhilarating, refreshing, life-affirming.

A little thing, everything. One of our fans stopped by. She listened, she danced.  She helped make it all the more validating, and real. Afterwards we all conversed. I gave the little group a bit of my standard Lombardi pep talk. Wind me up and I can Lombardi with the best of them. 

It went something like this: Yes, it's been a tough year. Raging Global Pandemic. Lockdown. No shows. Everyone hunkered in, hiding out at home. No hugs, no parties, no r&r shows. BUT, Spring is right around the corner, the vaccine is on it's way,  we are gonna beat this thing, change is in the air, not long from now, we will be breaking bread, sitting together, being sociable again, rocking out, partying. No doubt.

One of the group ventured the sentence: "I guess, we should be positive?"

My inner Lombardi leaped with joy: "Yes, of course, positive. We must be positive."  As I spoke the words, I was bathed in the late afternoon sunshine, the sun was setting in the west, breaking over the buildings, streaming thru the branches of the trees, it was lighting me up, blinding me, sparkling off my sunglasses, dazzling me, the sunshine totally engulfing me, I was swimming in the golden light.

"Yes. Positive. No doubt. I mean, what's the alternative?"

Blog Archive