Faux Fu

Monday, September 21, 2020

Music Lovers Here...

Yes, we are music lovers here...

We are the kind of music lovers, that when our BOSE music system craps out, I mean, it starts acting erratically, rejecting every CD we put into it, spitting out CD's like an unhappy, spittoon-crazy, cowboy, well, we have a backup system at hand. Yes, indeed, we replaced and retired our BOSE system set up in the kitchen with a Tivoli Audio system that was sitting on the shelf collecting dust. And you know what? The Tivoli sounds fantastic. 

So we didn't lose a day of music in the kitchen. We fired that Tivoli up for cleanup time Friday afternoon, and U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (2004) brought me to my knees. Really. Mopping the kitchen floor, U2 blasting at maximum volume, there are a couple songs on the CD that always get me, hit me right in the heart. I know Bono is singing about his Father, I know he's singing about God, and the difficulty of being Human, and it gets me every time. So I'm mopping away, and tears are running down my cheeks. Now that's the power of music, right there. A deep spiritual experience. Tears and suds. That's clean-up time around here.

Saturday and Sunday we kept the music flowing. My partner was working on a painting in the kitchen and I was DJ. I spun these great albums. Every one of them fabulous, head-turning, groovy and enlightening:

Portishead's "Dummy" (1994)
Rye's "Woman" (2013)
Soccer Mommy's "Color Theory" (2020)
Angelica Garcia's "Cha Cha Palace" (2020)
Kan Wakan "Moving On" (2014)

I also snuck in another U2 record, "Joshua Tree" (1987). It's a monster record. So good. Every track, shimmering with intelligence, beauty, heart and soul.  I mean, it's almost a cliche to play this one. It was so ubiquitous when it came out. I sometimes take it for granted. Never mind, just put it on. Let it wash over you. As good as any album ever recorded. The real-deal. Oh yeah, it sounded absolutely killer on the Tivoli... "I still haven't found what I'm looking for..."

BTW- What's the soundtrack this a.m.? The Dirty Three.  I'm just running thru every record of their's we own this morning.  Glorious instrumental music. Breathtaking, soul-filling, healing.

Blog Archive