Faux Fu

Thursday, May 23, 2019

I was Ready to Go in for the Kill!

I had a "situation" yesterday.

I won't go into the gory details. Suffice to say, it was an unexpected conversation. Words were tossed my way by someone who really doesn't know me, (I don't really know them either).

How did I react? Internally I was absolutely infuriated. I mentally prepared an onslaught of razor-sharp, cutting words in return. I was ready to go in for the kill.

Then I paused. I swallowed my pride. I laughed. I took a few deep breaths and decided this was not a fight worth having. I just stopped. I cooled off. Let it go. Responded with a cool, calculated silence.

Yes. It was good. Satisfying. Sometimes you really don't have to take the bait. You can bite your tongue, pull in your horns, be the "bigger person."

The fury passed. Instead of escalating it, I totally defused the situation. I must say, I have not always been this "smart," there have been times in the past where I would have reacted with inflamed emotion. But I have learned that this fury, this flaming emotion is toxic. Not just to the person I was going to direct it upon, but also toxic to myself.

So. Instead. I did a Gandhi.  Silence. Coolness. Non-violent. Non-confrontational. It felt wonderful.

Blog Archive