Faux Fu

Friday, April 26, 2019

Waiting for the hawk to appear.

Waiting for the hawk to appear. 

The homeless guy in front of the grocery store told me he just saw a large hawk flying overhead. He had a gleam in his eyes, like he had seen something miraculous. We searched the vast blue sky together. It seemed essential to locate the hawk in flight. No such luck. Two men on a street corner, looking to the skies, hoping to get a glimpse of something extraordinary. The homeless guy told me: "In the Gnostic Gospels, God rebuked man for flying."  All I could reply: "Hunh!"

For some reason this all seemed interesting and significant. (Maybe the conversation was a bit more resonant for me because I had just had a supremely vivid dream where someone who had passed away, appeared to me, and showed me the little wings that had sprouted from her shoulders?) I got home and searched a bit on the internet, looking for references to flying in the Gnostic Gospels. I could find no such reference. A mystery upon a mystery. Blind leading blind into the darkness.

Waiting for the hawk to appear.

Blog Archive