First morning of 2019.
I'm not big on numbers. Actually, I'm bad with numbers. I'm so happy calculators were invented. Math is not my thing. I really, really stumbled in school when we got to Algebra and Geometry. Seemed like another language where I just could not find my footing. Also, of course, I am the kind of human being who really doesn't want to do what I don't want to do. I have always had problems applying myself to things I don't want to apply myself to.
The flip-side to that, I really love to do what I love to do. And early on in my life I did find things I loved to do: kicking around alone in the world, in my head, reading books, playing guitar, writing things down on paper. I love the world of words, images, ideas. I love the world of music, the songs, the melodies, the harmonies, the great music, the great bands, the great artists, those human beings who have done the good work.
My life continues to unspool. Still running out that string. Not sure how long it goes. Still trying to figure things out. It seems like an ever-continuing saga: who am I, why am I here, what's going on, what have I done, what will I do? Is there some higher purpose or meaning that I'm missing? Is it like Algebra or Geometry? Some other language I should know that would help me navigate this strange and forbidding world?
It's welcoming too, right? Sometimes you just want to embrace the day. Breathe in the air, hold the sun and moon in your arms. 2019. Another year. A number. I'm bad with numbers. But life, I'm trying to get the hang of it. It keeps changing, morphing, growing, unspooling before me. That's the thing, right?! Happy New Year!
- ► 2020 (262)
- Enforced Freedom.
- Answering Machine...
- Junun. Sound. Vision. Extraordinary.
- Time Tripping with Sergio Leone!
- You Do Not Want to Be This Idiot in Chief!
- Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House, has Found the ...
- Death. The Big Enchilada!
- Motion-Sickness on the Planet!
- Build a Wall Around the Idiot in Chief?!
- A Worrying Problem!
- MLK, Jeff & Brian
- "Thoughts of a Madman: Russian Agent, or Useful Id...
- Hold Your Horses!
- The Liar Lied to the Other Liar and they agreed to...
- Everything is Fragile!
- Get Your Head Together!
- Garbage In, Garbage Out...
- One of the Greatest Mistakes in the History of Fat...
- The Obvious Questions.
- Painfully, Blindingly, Ridiculously Obvious for a ...
- Know Your History, Know Yourself.
- A Leader, With No Followers!
- It's Not Often You Get to Express the Zeitgeist of...
- "The Alternate Boot: Vols. 1&2" is Here!
- It's A "No-Brainer!
- Let's Make America Equitable Again!
- Yep. Of Course.
- No Walls.
- Sometimes You Just Do the Day.
- Burning Question...
- I'm Bad with Numbers.
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2018 (365)
- ► 2017 (365)
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (365)
- ► 2014 (365)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (366)
- ► 2011 (365)
- ► 2010 (370)
- ► 2009 (366)
- ► 2008 (360)
- ► 2007 (285)
- ► 2006 (183)
- ► 2005 (350)