Faux Fu

Thursday, July 05, 2018

"Hating Popular Things Doesn't Make You a More Interesting Person."

Not sure I agree with the headline. I mean, I was never popular myself, so, for most of my existence, I have cultivated a personality and sensibility on liking unpopular things. I'm not convinced, I mean, hating popular things might make you more interesting. There are whole cults, and trends, and genres, and tastes, based on unpopularity. Think of all your friends who like bands or movies or people that no one else likes. How many Critics, (movies, music, food, etc) have made their mark by hating popular things? Either they are interesting people, or just contrary assholes. Maybe both.

Although, now that I think of it, I think it was Chuck Klosterman (American Author and Essayist),  who pointed out that just because something is popular doesn't make it bad, I mean, there must be some good reasons why something is popular, I think, if I remember correctly, it was Klosterman who made the case that popular culture might not be good, but it is never wrong. But then again, maybe Chuck was just trying to be an interesting character by being contrary.

Maybe if someone would have told me that I didn't need to hate popular things when I was a moody, pissed off, recalcitrant teenager I would have tried to like more popular things? Doubtful.

Anyway, yesterday, July 4th, 2018, we decided to only do "popular" things. It's a bit contrary to my nature, but I was in agreeable mood, so we went with the popular things...

1. Played Beatles and Led Zeppelin on the CD player. Surprisingly "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band," and "Led Zeppelin IV (ZoZo),"  on random play makes for a pretty interesting soundscape. Don't let the critics tell you any different. Two popular records for many good reasons.

2. Pizza. We ate Pizza. It was good. How can you not like pizza? Pretty much all the main food groups in one big circle!

3. Watched "The Big Lebowski." Every scene is great. Lots of laughs, almost every scene is brilliant, fully realized, and when Townes Van Zandt starts singing "Dead Flowers" at the end, well, the tears just flowed like summer rain.

4. Went to the big fireworks display. I actually do hate this July 4th ritual, but I decided to pretend I didn't, just to be agreeable, or maybe not totally disagreeable. Almost fell asleep. My friend told me the long wait for the fading light to finally disappear was "building suspense."  I replied: "The suspense is killing me." So dramatic. I watched the twinkling lights and flashing colors, all the pretty people transfixed, and wondered what it was all about.

5.  Crashed out at the end of a long day with two pillows under my head. No dreams. Just a deep, restful sleep. Sleep - necessary and very, very popular!

Blog Archive