Faux Fu

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Quite Muddy!

In college I started out as an English Major, but then I came up against the Forsythe Saga, and decided, I had enough, I did not want to spend my life paging thru musty old books I didn't relate to, so I changed majors - I jumped into Psychology.

I got my degree, but I always thought Psychology was not really a science, just a weedy, dorky, kind of human art - humans trying to make sense of humans. And it was a activity organized by madmen and dreamers, and people just making shit up - BF Skinner, Sigmund Freud, CJ Jung - and then after all the hubbub, there was finally the onslaught of the Druggies. All that talk therapy was washed away by the heavy use of pharmaceuticals! 

Anyway, this is a long way to this article - "What Psychology's crisis means for the future of science..." it's all "false positives," and "puffs of smoke." So much of psychology seems like counting angels on the head of a pin. 

Psychology - the whole thing is pretty much a mirage - bias, seeing what you want to see when you want to see it. What to believe? What do we know? What can we know? It all gets quite muddy...

Blog Archive