Faux Fu

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Ecology Trumps Economy - Or At Least It Should!

I am looking forward to buying this Naomi Klein book - "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate" I am rooting for the climate.  I do think as Klein says, "ecology trumps economy."

Can Human Beings figure out how to cooperate as a species? We are really good as being selfish, greedy, needy, wanting, grasping... we've built economies, and empires, competing with each other. It seems like a crazy way to live, but we have been very successful at dominating the planet and all of our fellow beings.

I think asking people to do the right thing is a tough sell. We want what we want when we want it! We are a nasty species. Maybe we are on the road to extinction.  Maybe that is our trajectory. I still have hope that we can "wake up," but that seems more and more unlikely.

Maybe some combination of hope and fear will help us overcome our selfish nature, but it seems to me we are not wired to save the species, we are wired to save ourselves, even though that is a fool's errand,  as Jim Morrison once sang, "No one gets out of here alive..."

Blog Archive