Faux Fu

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Buddhist Delight is My Delight!

We often have a meal at the local noodle shop.  The menu is chock full of Chinese, Thai, Japanese, and Indonesia delicacies. All the servers know us. We come in and it's almost like we are celebrities. We usually get a nice table in the window. We have our favorites. Always vegetarian, and it turns out they can make any dish vegetarian.

There is one waitress, the only non-Asian, she's from India... she's a Buddhist. She wears a Buddha medallion. I wear a Buddha medallion. We showed each other our medallions. She asked if I was a Buddhist. I said, "I practice." She asked "How?" I said I meditated, and that was about it. She told me that was perfect. As a Buddhist you can practice Buddhism as you see fit. You are in charge.

It was one of those moments. Something important happened between us. We smiled, we really "saw" each other. We made some kind of deep connection, a real, unknowable, mysterious connection. Anyway, I am on a Buddhist kick, and lately my favorite song is Alex Chilton's Dali Lama... "30,000 monks at his direction, practicing things like Astral Projection!"


Blog Archive