Faux Fu

Thursday, November 17, 2011

No Heroes, No Saints

My deep-seated, anti-authoritarian streak is rewarded over and over by events of the world.  It's not necessarily a good thing.  There's lots of pain and tragedy associated with the subject.  And I don't find much pleasure in being proven "right."


Let's just say that I'm not surprised that Priests, Popes, Coaches, Bosses, Boy Scout Troop Leaders, Bankers, Politicians, basically anyone invested with in-ordinate trust and authority, invariably abuses that trust and authority.


Seems it's all part of our complicated human nature.  There are no Saints amongst the herd.  I mean you may be perceived as a "saint" or "hero" in one realm, and be a deeply twisted and flawed creature in another realm.  Same person, different realm.


To be "human" means we are capable of the best and the worst.  For some reason this is deeply ingrained in me.  Maybe it comes from an awareness of my own complicated and flawed nature - is it a carryover from my Catholic upbringing?  I have never bowed down to authority, have always been baffled by those that do. I ended up rejecting the whole religious hierarchy, just saw it as a big, hollow game of fear and guilt.


Still maybe that fear and guilt was useful and instructive.  On the other hand, always reacting against authority has sometimes gotten me into trouble.  Sometimes you must learn to bend, not break, because given the chance, those in authority will try to break you if they can.  


So yes, in my world, no heroes, no saints, no one worth putting up on a pedestal, just human beings.   Humans can surprise with their kindness, their "genius," their beauty, and their grace, but they bring along the whole package.  And sometimes there are little nasty surprises too.  Trust no one, not even yourself.   Over-throw the bosses, even the boss of yourself.   Be vigilant, be disciplined, be humble, and watch your back little Grasshopper!

Blog Archive