Faux Fu

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Son of Idiot?!

I was wondering what happened to Billie Joe Armstrong and Green Day. A couple of years ago, at a friend's suggestion, I gave American Idiot a try and it is certainly one of my favorite albums of the new millennium.

Billie Joe is actually quite the ambitious rocker. The music didn't really seem "punk" to me, even if that's where Green Day started. The music is melodic with some great hooks, more in the mode of slick power pop. There's nothing like a cranked Marshall and a Les Paul Jr. wielded with authority to get the adrenaline flowing.

I have always been a fan of the "rock opera." Which sort of seems like a contradiction. A bastard genre. But ever since Sgt. Peppers bands have been playing with the form.

The Who scored with two rock opera masterpieces - "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia." Superb music, great themes, ambitious without being overly grand. Hard rocking and not pretentious (ok maybe a little) in the least. At least that's my take.

And it turns out Green Day is gonna take another crack at it - "21st Century Breakdown." I'm making room on my iPod!

UPDATE: Plus Billie Joe is a funny guy. I mean, I don't think he takes himself too seriously. Which is sort of refreshing. He's the Jesus of Suburbia living on a diet of "soda pop and Ritalin."

Blog Archive