Faux Fu

Friday, July 18, 2008

One Big Show

Some days it's all nails and thorns. And then there are days where everything is sunshine and rainbows. I had a great day yesterday - business was clicking, the creative juices were flowing. Everything seemed to be in it's place. Late in the day, I was out and about in the big city. I found myself sitting on a bench waiting for the Damen bus in the middle of Wicker Park, and it was like suddenly the Universe conspired to entertain me.

The whole shooting match was one big show, just for me.

It was a hot, muggy, July afternoon, but for some reason I was cool and chipper. I was forced to sit down and pay attention. A stream of cars and bikes and people walking down the avenue. The Human Parade. So much energy, so many variations on a theme. I just kind of took it all in. I was an energy attractor, an energy concentrator.

The bus finally came and it whisked me off to another part of the thriving metropolis. I ended up at Silivies Lounge, one of my favorite haunts. A strangely laid out little tavern with a pretty nice sound system all set up for me and my cohorts in the Telepaths (minus our drummer). We played an "unplugged" set of tunes. We could actually hear each other - three voices, two acoustic guitars. I debuted a cover of Neil Young's "Roll Another Number." I dedicated it to Harold and Kumar.

I had some flubs, I broke a string - you know, my highs are high, my lows are low, that is just me. I was so happy to see the sound guys watching us and cheering us on. Now that's a nice tribute. Those guys see everything.

I capped off the evening with a nice cold Stella Artois. If there is a heaven, that's where that particular beverage is brewed.

Blog Archive