Faux Fu

Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'll let you be in my movie, if I can be in yours." - sunny jimmy


Saw Todd Haynes' "I'm Not There." If you think Bob Dylan's voice is like listening to fingernails on a chalk board, you will not enjoy this movie. If like me, you think the idea of having multiple actors portray versions of Dylan is a stroke of genius, you will probably love it. Yes, Kate Blanchett is amazing, so is the young African American kid as the young "Woody."

I loved it. It's an "art movie." Surreal, circular, mysterious, odd, impressionistic. Haynes is obviously a Dylanologist of the first order. The more you know about Bob Dylan, the myth, the man, the cartoon, the more you will find to enjoy. It's not worth taking the movie apart. I'm thinking that like most of the best art, you should just experience it. As Jean Luc Godard reportedly once said, the only way to "review" the film would be to make your own in response.

Blog Archive