Faux Fu

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Everyday I have the Blues

According to Native American Tradition, there are four simple 'rules' for a successful negotiation: 1. Show up. 2. Pay attention. 3. Tell the truth. 4. Do not be attached to outcome. Simple, clean; the key is to incorporate them into your being. I've also discovered that it is counter-productive to 'chase a deal,' instead, it's best to set the conditions so the deal (your opponent, your Customer, etc.) comes to you. Reminds me of this: people scatter from the man shouting on a street corner, they draw closer to a man whispering to himself.

I made myself scarce yesterday, played blues music ('everyday, everyday I have the blues' - how come it feels so good to be blue? Peter Green plays the sweetest, most mournful electric blues I've ever heard) and worked on a couple of proposals. I found a little solitude, and suddenly all these people started calling, e-mailing; I was a man in demand. I say, let it all come down!

Blog Archive