Faux Fu

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Anything is Possible

I know it's arbitrary (and really, who's counting?) but, it's the first day of the new year, 2005. Decades of my life just kind of seem like an extended blur. I've been walking around this planet for quite a spell now, and I'm not quite sure where it's all going (maybe a slow decrepitude or possibly some kind of fiery spontaneous combustion?).

We had a really perfect day yesterday: I did a little 'Goodbar,' editing in the morning, then, Carla 'the love of my life,' and I went for a massage and float at 'The Space/Time Tanks.' It's was a low voltage, Ken Russell extravaganza ala 'Alerted States.' In this case, we floated in the dark in warm, salt-saturated water, which miraculously lets your body hang in suspended animation. It's a very odd, disorienting experience, which I guess is the point. The only thing that might come close would be revisiting your mother's womb or traveling in a space capsule out beyond gravity. Every muscle in your body totally relaxes, in fact, for me, my body seemed to disintegrate, and I was just this little center of energy hanging out in the universe. It is enthralling, strange, and ultimately kind of profound - I seemed to locate a center of peace and tranquility deep inside (or really, was it outside?) me. We both emerged feeling kind of shaky and fragile.

Of course, we then went to Starbucks for a hot chocolate and a cider. We sat in these big brown chairs, listened to some music and just let the world wash over us. We then went to see 'Ray,' a biopic about Ray Charles (what a sad, beautiful, excellent, inspiring movie!) at a beat up old theater in Logan Square (what a cool theater). Then it was back home for a late meal (salmon cakes, brocolli, mushroooms!), then a long, refreshing sleep. No party, no countdown, just total satisfaction, peace, and a love-affair with our pillows.

This morning, it's 'sweet love blend,' in the coffee pot, cool jazz (actually a mix of Otis Redding, Sarah Vaughn and Gillian Welch) on the stereo, and a feeling of 'anything is possible.' Happy New Year!

Blog Archive