Sunday, October 04, 2026

Dream, Baby, Dream...

Folk #1: Dreams. No one wants to hear about your dreams. You know, no matter how dramatic or traumatic, someone will say, "Yeah, well, it's only a dream." And the drama & trauma is supposed to just vanish. End of story. You plow on and try to recount the details, to convey the gravity, the deep meanings of the dream, and folks eyes cloud over, they yawn, they give you that 10,000 yard stare. Whatever.

Did anyone ever read Kerouac's Book of Dreams?  Yeah, me neither. It's only a dream, Jack.

So you have to contend with your dreams on your own, unless you pay for a professional to listen. Does anyone do that any more? That Freudian or Jungian talk therapy seems to be out of favor & overwhelmed by the onslaught of drugs. Drug therapy. They have a drug for pretty much everything. Be careful not to mix your medicine. Synergistic action can be extremely deadly.

I figure I just have to figure out things on my own. Dreams: Attacked by Feral Cats? A surprise hair-cut at a party? Spooky-looking, ominous, fish swimming around in a pond? Car chases & crashes, guns drawn, intense episodes of some kind of Miami Vice- like series. Reliving ancient fuckups & calamities, reliving idiocies & episodes of expert self-sabotage. I really have been my own worst enemy. It's been a long & winding road.

I long-ago left behind the worst of my most self-sabotaging habits. Decades of living clean, exercising, eating well, meditating; happier for it. Living honestly, earning an honest buck. Living creatively with heart, head & spirit aligned with the folks I love. The most dramatic or traumatic episodes in my life were all basically instances of self-destruction. Sure, I never killed anyone, I just methodically marinated my own brain cells for kicks & laughs.

So yes, in the middle the night, alone, vulnerable, wrestling with a worried mind. Luckily it all vanishes in the a.m. Even if I awake before the light of day, the coffee immediately does it's work. All that hurly-burly and tumult & turmoil, just fades away. Still, there is a lingering wisp of uncertainty hanging over & within me. Maybe I'm not as together as I think I am? I suppose I have some unfinished business. Work to do on my self. Every day just trying to be, & to do, better. Do my best to be my best; an enthusiastic, fully-woke & fully-engaged Human Being. Alive, aware, awake. Damn the torpedoes. I mean, fuck it.